Home > Women‘s Voices >

Women's Voices: Niveen G.- House Arrest


Name  Niveen G.
Age 40
Location  Biet-Hanina, Jerusalem 
Type of Incidents  House Arrest 
Date of Incidents  3 August 2014 

In August 2014, Niveen’s son was arrested and imprisoned for three days. Following this, he was sentenced to six months house arrest. The period of house arrest had a negative effect on the entire family, as Niveen and her husband had to accompany her son to school and stay inside with him in the house at all other times. This created tensions between her children,  placed pressure on Niveen’s job, and caused Niveen great emotional strain. 

“My name is Niveen. I am married and I live in Beit Hanina. I have four sons and a daughter. My son, Majd, is 18 years old and he is the eldest.”

“In August 2014, after the martyrdom of the child Mohammed Abu Khudair, who was kidnapped from Shu'fat area and burned alive by settlers, there were many clashes in the area of ​​Beit Hanina, near our house.”

“On 3rd August 2014, on Saturday, at 10:00 AM, I woke up and saw that Majd was not in the house. After an hour and a half I started to worry that he had still not come home. I sent my youngest son to ask about him at the neighbours’ house. I tried to call Majd on his mobile phone, but he did not answer. My husband and his brothers came with me to look for him, but no one knew where he was.”

“At 3:30pm, the police from Nevi Yaakov detention center called my husband and told us that Majd was detained. He was accused of throwing stones at a settlers' house. I was relieved to know that he was imprisoned, because I was expecting that he had been kidnapped killed like Mohammed Abu Khudair. They had arrested him at 09:30 AM without communicating with us for more than six hours.”

“Majd was transferred to al Maskobiya detention center on the same day and spent three days there. He told us that he was severely beaten  and was barely given any food. He was transferred to the court on 7th August 2014. He was sentenced to six months of house arrest. My husband and I had to sign a 20,000 NIS guarantee, to ensure that Majd would not leave the house.”

“Majd was allowed to go to school, but we had to accompany him. He was at the Arab Institute School in Al-Azaria. It took an hour to go there and return to my work. I suffered having to accompany and collect him from school every day.  We also had to stay with him when he was not at school, inside the house. My husband was with him in the morning and I was with him in the afternoon, after work.”

“The six months of Majd’s house arrest were very difficult for me. I was very tired and under pressure all the time. Because my son was sitting for such a long time in the house, he became very nervous, and started smoking cigarettes. He refused to study, which affected his grades.  The school principal decided that Majd should repeat the tenth grade, or be transferred schools.  He was not understanding and treated my son badly. Majd treated this as a challenge, and after his transfer to another school in Beit Hanina, he succeeded in the eleventh and twelfth grade and is now studying law at Al-Quds University.”

“The rest of my children were effectively under house arrest too, as we couldn’t leave Majd alone to accompany our children anywhere, even to visit our relatives. This caused tension between the children.”

“The most difficult moments were during the three days he spent in prison before being sentenced to house arrest. I used to  wake up at night screaming and calling his name and crying out of fear.”

“I was also very worried about my work. I was afraid that the situation of my son would cause to me to be dismissed from my job, as I work in an Israeli institution.”


“This is the first time I have spoken about all of these details, as I tried to block this all from my memories.”