[18 February 2016] – Today, WCLAC submitted a summary report with the UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since 1967, Mr. Makarim Wibisono. The report covers some of the main conflict related-issues affecting women and documented by WCLAC in 2015. These issues include:
- Night-raids conducted by the Israeli military on Palestinian homes;
- Soldier and settler violence;
- Human rights defenders;
- Dutch supplied service dogs;
- Unlawful transfer of female prisoners;
- Property destruction; and
- General issues affecting women in Gaza.
The report concludes that time and again illegal Israeli settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem has been identified as the main impediment to a peaceful resolution to the conflict based on a two-state solution and yet settlement construction continues. The response of the international community has generally been too little too late with predictable consequences.
The report makes seven practical recommendations which WCLAC has requested be given due consideration by the Special Rapporteur.